Once Swann sets up his missile perimeter properly, he deals, by far, the highest potential DPS of all heroes in the game. The best way to play Swann is to always have enemies nearby that you can Haywire. Therefore, Swann should rarely be sitting in base except to place turrets.
Swann for Oldschool has 3 Perks that he must absolutely pick. Once beginners pick the right perks and proper masteries for Swann, they can more easily play him effectively.
- (Hellwalker) Absorbtion
The reason why I did not state that Absorption is the absolute pick for Hellwalker Swann is because for Speedruns, it is swapped for Mercenary.
Swann's Mastery OrderEdit
Swann's mastery order for multiplayer games is very static.
- Level 0 = Haywire + Free Lightweight Equipment
- Level 10 = Frontal Assault
- Level 20 = Combat Architect
- Level 30 = Satellite Uplink ULTIMATE unlocked
- Level 40 = Weakspot
- 2K Streak = Energy/Guerilla Protocol
- Level 50 = Guerilla Protocol/Energy
Swann needs Frontal Assault to successfully establish aggressive perimeters. A collection of turrets can only be established if previous turrets survive. And Frontal Assault is the logical choice as a level 10 selection.
Setting up aggressive forward perimeters also allows Swann to keep using Haywire Missiles, since sitting back deep inside the base continuously is not the optimal way to play Swann. You must have enemies to target with Haywire Missiles to regenerate your energy.
After level 50, masteries such as Wasteland and Fists of Fury are useful for Hellwalker games.
Comments on Swann's MasteriesEdit
Swann has 14 Masteries:
- Energy -> Useful after level 50 for very slow games with little enemies to Haywire. Skippable in faster games.
- Lightweight -> Core Mastery. Reduced cooldown for turrets.
- Weapons Research -> Core Mastery. Increased hellfire and gatling turrets damage.
- Allrounder -> Useless. Contender for last mastery to be picked
- Iron Man -> Useless. Contender for last mastery to be picked
- Guerilla Protocol -> Core Mid Game Mastery. Useful when moving from one area to a completely different area.
- Haywire Missile -> Core Mastery. The only Haywire Missile that is not useless in CP2 aside from Atlas’s Haywire Missiles. Regenerates energy when Swann auto-attacks
- Weakspot -> Core Mid Game Mastery. Ignore armor and bonus to armored targets
- Combat Architect -> Core Mid Game Mastery. Provides detection and fast satellite uplink tower building
- Satellite Uplink -> ULTIMATE Mastery
- Nuke -> Global nukes
- Frontal Assault -> Core Early Game Mastery
- Wasteland -> Core Late Game Mastery for HW. 90% spell damage resistance for turrets
- Fists of Fury -> Late Game Mastery for HW. Become immune to nightmare drops. Punch them all in the face.
The other two masteries to pick only on Hellwalker but not on Oldschool are Wasteland (13) and Fists of Fury (14). The two masteries to pick last are Allrounder(4) and Iron Man(5).